- The Authorities’s Division for Enterprise, Vitality & Industrial Technique (BEIS) is presently consulting on the subsidies it must put in place to assist Bioenergy with Carbon Seize and Storage (BECCS) from 2027-2050
- Rising sufficient vitality crops to make this work would require round 1.three million hectares of UK land yearly that’s wanted for meals manufacturing.
- If that land had been as a substitute used to develop wheat, it may produce 15 billion loaves of bread or sufficient energy to feed four million individuals for a 12 months.
- Some have estimated the price of such expertise at £31 billion and the Authorities has not dominated out paying for these subsidies by new levies on vitality payments.
- BECCS energy crops produce much less electrical energy as a result of the precise expertise requires an excessive amount of vitality. At Drax energy station in Yorkshire, putting in BECCS expertise and burning wooden may cut back electrical energy output by the quantity wanted for 41,000 properties, risking blackouts. As such, by Drax’s personal figures, BECCS would due to this fact cut back the quantity of energy produced on the plant by a minimum of 28%.
LONDON – SEPTEMBER 22, 2022 – A new report from Reduce Carbon Not Forests (CCNF) reveals that the UK Authorities’s plans for Bioenergy with Carbon Seize and Storage (BECCS) – on which it’s presently consulting – may undermine the nation’s meals safety. The Authorities’s official local weather change advisors imagine BECCS can be wanted to offset 35.four million tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2050 from different elements of the financial system – like aviation and trade.
At present, most bioenergy makes use of imported wooden from forests abroad. This has vital detrimental impacts on nature and the local weather. However the Local weather Change Committee and the Authorities have signalled that they might exchange these imports with vitality crops grown on UK farms. Whereas present biomass crops can solely burn wooden, new ones might be constructed to burn vitality crops.
Rising sufficient vitality crops to make this concept work would require round 1.three million hectares of UK land yearly that’s wanted for meals manufacturing. If that land had been as a substitute used to develop wheat, it may make 15 billion loaves of bread, or sufficient energy to feed four million individuals for a 12 months.
Along with placing the UK’s meals manufacturing in danger, it could additionally threaten nature, worsen our local weather, and undermine vitality safety. For these causes, the CCNF coalition urges the Authorities to not assist any Bioenergy with Carbon Seize and Storage.
“Whereas the Authorities and trade desperately wish to depend on BECCS to satisfy internet zero targets, it doesn’t make sense from any angle,” stated Elly Pepper, campaigner on the Pure Assets Protection Council (NRDC) and the Reduce Carbon Not Forests coalition. “The truth that the Authorities’s BECCS plan may imply the lack of big swathes of land wanted to develop meals for UK households is unconscionable.”
“The one and solely motive the UK authorities continues to pursue this ill-advised path is its cosy relationship with Drax – the UK’s prime polluter and largest bioenergy generator. Certainly, the Authorities’s present plans for BECCS reads like Drax’s want checklist and would hand the corporate billions in subsidies, whether or not it efficiently captures carbon or not. Within the midst of a local weather and biodiversity disaster and document meals value inflation, the federal government should discover actual options to forestall world warming – not perpetuate the company seize that obtained us into this mess within the first place.”
“Promising vitality firms extra invoice payers’ or public cash in the event that they set up BECCS is unnecessary for the local weather, for vitality safety, nor for meals safety,” stated Almuth Ernsting from Biofuelwatch. “This proposal is firstly about handing Drax more cash to proceed burning tens of millions of tonnes of imported wooden pellets even much less effectively than they’re doing now, with devastating impacts on forests and the wildlife and communities that rely on them, in addition to on the local weather. Probably, the BEIS proposal may additionally trigger vitality firms to burn crops on the expense of UK meals safety and UK biodiversity.”
“We want pressing actions to handle the local weather emergency in tandem with gas poverty and the worsening value of residing disaster. These should embrace large-scale assist for house insulation and different vitality effectivity and conservation measures in addition to for low-carbon renewable vitality and warmth pumps – not handing ever extra funds to firms for burning wooden in addition to fossil fuels.”
To obtain the report, titled ‘Burning Bread: How bioenergy with carbon seize and storage (BECCS) would undermine UK meals safety’, please go to: https://www.cutcarbonnotforests.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Burning-Bread-Truth-Sheet.pdf
FINN Companions for Reduce Carbon Not Forests